What is E.Coli
Let us begin by telling you that all strains of E.Coli are not harmful for the humans. The E.Coli or Escherichia coli bacterium can get transmitted from the food like meats and vegetables to your intestines. Generally these strains of E.Coli help the body manufacture vitamin K2, i.e. instrumental in preventing the entry of harmful pathogens into the intestine. E.Coli also helps in the breakdown and digestion of food.
But some strains of E.Coli have the potency to escape the intestine and enter the blood stream. This can cause a severe infection and intense food poisoning.
Sources of E.Coli Infection:
- Consumption of inadequately cooked meat
- Drinking water that may contain strains of E.Coli
- Drinking raw (unpasteurized) milk
- Close proximity to cattle
Symptoms of a person infected with E.Coli infection:
- Pain in the stomach
- Diarrhea, at times with blood
Preventing E.Coli infection:
Like any other diseases, prevention is better than cure. Let us tell you a few effective ways to protect yourself from an E.Coli infection.
1. Always wash your hands scrupulously clean before you start cooking to prevent infection from E.Coli
2. All types of meat should be cooked till there is no pink visible anywhere
3. Take care not to taste raw bites of uncooked meat or beef to check the seasoning as it can cause infection from E.Coli
4. Never use the utensil that has been used to store raw meat, to keep cooked food
5. All meats should be ideally cooked to at least the temperature of 155 degree Fahrenheit. One can also use a meat thermometer to make sure the ideal temperature is reached to ensure protection from E.Coli infection
6. Store raw meat and poultry materials separate from other food items
7. One should try to always defrost meat either in the refrigerator of the microwave, do not let it stand on the counter to defrost on its own, as this can spread the E.Coli infection
8. It is advisable to use different cutting boards for cutting raw meat and poultry and vegetables. If you have to use the same board, take care to wash the cutting board with warm water and soap before using it for cutting vegetables
9. Avoid drinking raw milk to prevent E.Coli infection
10. If you have to store food items, keep them refrigerated or frozen
11. Either refrigerate leftovers immediately or discard them or they can become potential sources of E.Coli infection
12. For people suffering from Diarrhea, it is recommended that they should wash their hands frequently with soap and warm water for at least 30 second each time to prevent E.Coli infection
13. For those working in close proximity to elderly, it is advisable that they wash their hands frequently too
14. When ordering food in a restaurant, make sure to mention that the meat should be cooked, till no pink shows in it
A little care and you can surely stay away from the E.Coli Infection.
For more information visit us http://www.healthfore.com/. HealthFore Technologies Limited is a global healthcare IT solutions and advisory services company. Our patient-centric healthcare solutions focus on wellness, preventive care and condition management. Our information and health advisory services ensure prompt diagnosis and treatment of diseases. We create mass awareness to improve the quality of life through self-care